I often get asked this question..
“What are muscle meats and which meats can I use with Raw Meow Mix?”
Raw Meow Mix is a meal completer, that contains the organs and bone content, that you add to plain muscle meat only. Meat is mostly the muscle tissue of an animal. Most animal muscle is roughly 75% water, 20% protein, and 5% fat
We recommend you use at least 3 different muscle meats, more if possible. There are two reasons we say that. One, it gives your cat variety and helps avoid boredom. Two, every protein, every cut from each protein, will have a different nutritional profile. Mixing it up insures you feed a good range of all the nutrients provided in each one.
Some muscle meats are very lean and some quite fatty. Do not be afraid to feed fatty meat. Cats have a high requirement for fat, kittens even more so. So go ahead and feed those fattier cuts, as a bonus, they’re often the cheaper cuts.
Here is a list of proteins we use when feeding meals using Raw Meow Mix. It is not all the muscle meats that exist, just the ones we use and that you can get fairly easily even in your local supermarket. If unsure about a protein not on the list, just ask us or post the question in our FB group Australian Raw Fed Cats
- Chicken – breast, thigh, chicken skin, leg meat
- Pork – leg and shoulder
- Lamb – leg and shoulder. Also ask your butcher for lamb trim, that’s the offcuts they can’t sell and often fatty. Fat is good
- Beef – any cut of beef is fine, buy what you can afford, fatty cuts are good
- Roo – this is a lean meat so make sure you are also feeding some fattier proteins
- Duck – a great fatty meat, often on special as whole birds so get deboning those ducks
- Tongue – pork, lamb and beef tongue are all excellent high taurine meats. I tend to limit these to no more than 10% of the total diet
- Heart – chicken, lamb, pork and beef heart are all excellent high taurine meats. I tend to limit these to no more than 10% of the total diet
- Chicken Gizzard - often sold as giblets. A very chewy meat, feed this one as large pieces or whole, a great workout for the jaw and teeth cleaner. I tend to limit these to no more than 10% of the total diet
- Lung – also a muscle meat, another one I would limit to 10% total diet